Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Trying to decide whether I should quit my job and go work for a startup

cloud go robotics

Nobody
 ⬇︎ 
Page 1 of /1

The company I’d be working for does data analytics for robotics (think AV/Drones/etc) in the cloud using golang. Those three things make it very appealing. I’d also be getting in VERY early. Like, second employee early. They’re funded by a few companies, notably Eric Schmidt’s Fund.

I’d be getting a title promotion compared to my current job, a 22k raise, as well as equity in the company.

I need second opinions.

why not

core omega phage

My general advice to people is to not join a startup if a) you will lose out on salary, b) you will not get a title bump, c) you will not get GOOD equity (that is, equity that they can’t dilute to shit and keep you from exercising for a long time), and d) if you want to keep a semblance of a social life outside of work with people other than coworkers.

It sounds like you’ve won on a and b. What are your thoughts on c and d?

Trying too hard

They’re giving me 0.5% which vests fractionally over a 4 year period. They’re fully remote, so I’m not going to be working in an office or anything.

I’m pretty sure that I can get more equity as I continue to work there as well.

i’ve worked for startups that IPO’d and startups that failed to raise funding and had to downsize 95% of the company
stock is appealing but 0.5% seems kind of low for second employee. idk i don’t know the going rates. and like MoM said you can get fucked by dilution unless you have the unfuckable options

i would decide based on how much you like your current job. if you’re super comfy atm then think twice. if not then maybe

.5% isn’t a great deal but if you think it’s a good move for you based on title, interest in the project etc it is probably worth grinding it out for a little while.

I’m doing the same thing rn i’m about to start with a fintech and honestly only doing it for the job title. But you don’t have to stay at these places forever so it’s cool.

I did it.

love this job

You love to see it

Trying too hard

thats great!

Every day I work at this job is significantly better than every day I worked at my old job.

Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top