Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Most programmers have never troubleshooted a problem over IRC

and it shows stupid fucking coworkers voice chat ruins everything

Nobody

The company I work at uses MS Teams which sucks for many reasons, but before that, we used Skype or Jabber. Nobody I interact with seems to understand that you can efficiently discuss and troubleshoot things through text chat - they all, and I mean ALL, feel that the best use of time is to start a voice chat, despite the fact that voice chat is probably the least efficient and most disruptive thing you can do at the start of a troubleshooting session. Don’t even get me started on people that don’t even message first to see if you free and immediately call without warning. Those motherfuckers can go to the back of the line. They’re also the first to whine when someone interrupts their work with an email or call. Fucking hypocrites.

It’s clear that being on IRC and troubleshooting things is something they never did, and it fucking shows.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-07-21 14:11:192021-07-21 14:11
Trying too hard

someone called me on teams the other day and i froze like a deer in headlights. eventually it stopped ringing and they just messaged me like a normal human.

we don't rent pigs

I think the only thing worse than calling without warning is sending the message “Hello” with NOTHING ELSE WITH IT. Get to the point if you’re going to interrupt someone.

https://www.nohello.com/2013/01/please-dont-say-just-hello-in-chat.html?m=1

Trying too hard

someone called me on teams the other day and i froze like a deer in headlights. eventually it stopped ringing and they just messaged me like a normal human.

god i really feel this thread
so many fucking normies are not used to conveying information over text

The assumption that WfH means people constantly have access to Teams/Slack/Skype (including after hours on their personal phone) is bullshit.

My company decided that it was no longer issuing phones for employees and that all work devices would be BYOD, but that they couldn’t mandate people buy and use their own devices. I have no work apps on my personal phone as a result of being the only person on my team with a functional backbone, and it drives a few people in other groups crazy that they can’t bother me with bullshit Teams calls 247 on a whim. I do not know how this isn’t the norm, and I can’t imagine the amount of insecurity and lack of spine in someone who is willingly tied into the corporate machine while resting, while out with their family at a movie, or while fucking their wife. I can only assume they hate themselves and/or their family - obviously if their job requires it and they have no choice it’s different.

Trying too hard
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top